This guideline is an important part of your safety in the center Oni Shobo. Each person who wants to come with us has to read this information. By making reservation automatically declares that is in good physical and mental conditions for our retreat programs and trips, also agrees that will participate this trip in own risk and we are no responsible for any accident and injury. It's so important that everybody agree to disclose, in confidence, any known medical conditions and/or use of any medication, at the time of booking. We must to persist on this conditions for ensure personal safety and good atmosphere in all group.
Is dangerous to take ayahuasca if you have some diseases, because of your safety is important to read this guideline. Heart, liver or kidney, or other serious medical problems, you should inform us at the first opportunity, and discuss the issues with a doctor who is aware of the issues ayahuasca may raise.
General measures, medication and other resources unsafe with ayahuasca:
- During ayahuasca retret is necessary to be in special diet for make a good and deep work in yourself and eliminate unwanted effects and problems with digestion.
- Minimally 14 days before retreat you must suspend taking decongestants, cold medications, allergy medications, antihistamines, sedatives, tranquillizers, amphetamines (including Adderall), some hypertensive medications, sympathomimetic amines including pseudoephedrine and ephedrine, carbamazipine, methylphemidate (Ritalin), macromerine, phenelanine, tyrosine, tryptophan,asarone/calamus, asthma inhalers and diet pills.
- Ayahuasca and medicinal plants are dangerous for pregnant women.
- It is essential to stop taking the following substances, and give your system sufficient time to remove them from the body, before you begin a workshop. Please consult your doctor if you are in any doubt: you certainly should not suddenly stop taking prescribed medications (including antidepressants) without consulting your doctor.
- During stay and also minimally one month before retreat people can't use alcohol and other recreation drugs (cocain, kava, extase - MDMA, opiates, amphetamins, mescalin, kratom, dextromethorphan - is also in drops and pill against cough, antitusicum)
Smoking the marijuana before the ayahuasca session may stupefy and darken the overall experience acting as a blockage for the visionary plant to manifest in the fullest way. Given the general amplified sensitivity of all participants of ayahuasca session, marijuana negatively affects not just the person who used it, but also potentially other participants’ experiences as well as the overall energy level of the medicine circle.
Medications what are unsafe in combination with Ayahuasca:
- Pills what contain IMAO - ayahuasca contains also Inhibitors Monoaminooxidase (IMAO) - harmalin and harmin, in combination with other IMAO effect is multiplied, it can lead to fatal effect
- SSRI and SNRI - Selective Serotonin (Norepinephrin) Reuptake Inhibitors - antidepressants such as Wellbutrin, Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor..Combining these medications with ayahuasca can induce serotonin syndrome – far more severely than with foods containing tryptophan, and with potentially fatal results. We advise you to stop taking SSRI medications six weeks prior to a workshop to allow the system to clear in time; some of these drugs may cause side effects when you stop taking them, and you should allow plenty of time for these to subside. You should not abruptly stop taking them without discussing the matter with your doctor. Please note that the herbal antidepressant St. John’s Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) also must not be taken directly prior to working with ayahuasca, although the system can clear this in 2 weeks before commencing a workshop
- Antibiotics, antipsychotics, barbiturates, antihypertensive (high blood pressure medicine), medicines for central nervous system - sedatives, tranquillizers, amphetamines, carbamazepine; asthma inhalers and diet pills, antituberculotic, antabus, lithium, antiepileptic, antimigrenic, antihistamines
The list of unsafe substances with ayahuasca:
Actifed, Adderall, Alaproclate, Albuterol (Proventil, Ventolin), Amantadine hydrochloride (Symmetrel), Amineptine, Amitriptaline, Amoxapine (Asendin), Atomoxedine, Befloxetone, Benadryl, Benylin, Benzedrine, Benzphetamine (Didrex), Bicifadine, Brasofensine, Brofaromine, Bupropion (Wellbutrin), Buspirone (BuSpar), Butriptyline, Carbamazepine (Tegretol, Epitol), Chlorpheniramine, Chlor Trimeton, Cimoxetone, Citalopram, Clomipramine (Anafranil), Codeine, Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), Cyclizine (Marezine), Dapoxotine, Desipramine (Pertofrane, Norpramin), Desvenlafaxine, Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine), Dextromethorphan (DXM), Dibenzepin, Dienolide kavapyrone desmethoxyyangonin, Diethylpropion, Disopyramide (Norpace), Disulfiram (Antabuse), Dopamine (Intropin), Dosulepin, Doxepin (Sinequan), Duloxetine, Emsam, Ephedrine, Epinephrine (Adrenalin), Escitalopram, Femoxitine, Fenfluramine (Pondimin), Flavoxate Hydrochloride (Urispas), Fluoxetine (Prozac), Fluvoxamine, Furazolidone (Furoxone), Guanethedine, Guanadrel (Hylorel), Guanethidine (Ismelin), Hydralazine (Apresoline), 5 Hydroxytryptophan, Imipramine (Tofranil), Iprindole, Iproniazid (Marsilid, Iprozid, Ipronid, Rivivol, Propilniazida), Iproclozide, Isocarboxazid (Marplan), Isoniazid (Laniazid, Nydrazid), Isoniazid rifampin (Rifamate, Rimactane), Isoproterenol (Isuprel), L dopa (Sinemet), Levodopa (Dopar, Larodopa, Linezolid (Zyvox, Zyvoxid), Lithium (Eskalith), Lofepramine, Loratadine (Claritin), Maprotiline (Ludiomil), Medifoxamine, Melitracen, Meperidine (Demerol), Metaproterenol (Alupent, Metaprel), Metaraminol (Aramine), Methamphetamine (Desoxyn), Methyldopa (Aidomet), Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Mianseri, Milnacipran, Minaprine, Mirtazapine (Remeron), Moclobemide, Montelukast (Singulair) · Nefazodone, Nialamide, Nisoxetine, Nomifensine, Norepinephrine (Levophed) · Nortriptyline (Aventyl), Oxybutynin chloride (Ditropan), Oxymetazoline (Afrin), Orphenadrine (Norflex), Pargyline (Eutonyl), Parnate, Paroxetine (Paxil), Pemoline (Cylert), Percocet, Pethedine (Demerol), Phendimetrazine (Plegiline), Phenergen, Phenmetrazine, Phentermine, Phenylephrine (Dimetane, Dristan decongestant, Neo Synephrine), Phenylpropanolamine (in many cold medicines), Phenelzine (Nardil), Procarbazine (Matulane), Procainamide (Pronestyl), Protriptyline (Vivactil), Pseudoephedrine, Oxymetazoline (Afrin), Quinidine (Quinidex), Rasagiline (Azilect), Reboxetine, Reserpine (Serpasil), Risperidone, Salbutemol, Salmeterol, Selegiline (Eldepryl, Sertraline (Zoloft), Sibutramine, Sumatriptan (Imitrex), Terfenadine (Seldane D), Tegretol, Temaril, Tesofensine, Theophylline (Theo Dur), Tianeptine, Toloxatone, Tramidol, Tranylcypromine (Parnate), Trazodone, Tricyclic antidepressants (Amitriptyline, Elavil), Trimipramine (Surmontil), Triptans, Vanoxerine, Venlafaxine (Effexor), Viloxezine, Yohimbine, Zimelidine, Ziprasidone (Geodon)
Herbs unsafe in combination with Ayahuasca:
- St. Johns Wort, Kava, Kratom, Ephedra, Ginseng, Yohimbe, Sinicuichi, Rhodiola Rosea, Kanna, Boswellia, Nutmeg, Scotch Broom, Licorice Roo
Illness unsafe in combination with Ayahuasca:
- If you have some illness please write us about us, in all cases. Instead ayahuasca you can use some medicinal plants.
- Hepar, cardiac, psychic illness, high blood pressure, diabetes - ayahuasca may change the amount of insulin or oral diabetics
- Concussion in last year - we also don't recommend take ayahuasca, visions can be distorted, and people usually describe crazy or unpleasant experiences.
Web where you can get a lot of information about ayahuasca - ayahuasca forum: